Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Peculiar People

Peculiarities. The very word conjures up images of eccentricities. In that sense, we are all peculiar. We all have our own quirks and preferences. I prefer Twining's Earl Grey Tea, Good Earth herb tea, and SleepyTime or just plain ol Lipton to the fancier teas out there. My dd likes iced coffee (the gateway drug, I call it) and I like mine hot!

Some things that are normal in one place might be peculiar in another. I live out west. It is not uncommon to encounter chislic at a restaurant. I used to live up north where gravy was frequently served over french fries instead of ketchup.

In my daughter's generation, the use of ear gauges is acceptable. It is not to mine. Is that a pecularity to her time and place? Perhaps.

Sometimes I hear Christians talking about our call to be a peculiar people-- set apart from the world. And I whole-heartedly agree! The question it seems, is... in what way are we to be peculiar?

Consider the fact that we are to be marked as Christ's own people. That may well require us to dress and appear differently from many others. However, it is Christ's peculiarities that we are to adopt. What was peculiar about Christ? He was a man of his time who nonetheless spoke to the woman at the well, who forgave sin, and asked God to forgive those who were crucifying Him. He healed people, served them, and ultimately, gave all for us.

Even the word, "Christian", means "little Christ". Doesn't this mean that we need to adopt His peculiarities? How well do we mirror this? Are our lives bearing the fruit that sets us apart as His... regardless of appearances?

Be Blessed!

1 comment:

Sheree said...

You are so right, Grace. I absolutely love this post. It really says it all.