Saturday, May 31, 2008

Hearing vs. Listening.

So often I read in the Bible, Jesus said, let him who has ears to hear, hear... Matthew 13:39 (Just an example!) What a simple phrase! Yet how much meaning it has. At least to me...

As a child sitting in church with my parents when the pastor would recite those words, I always thought, "Why would Jesus say that?" I mean, it was perfectly obvious to me that everyone has ears... Later on, I began to think that what that meant was that we are free to see what commands specifically apply to us and which ones do not. If you didn't have to ears to hear a particular thing... well, then, that particular thing did not apply to you.

Ah... again, I was wrong. I think that Jesus was telling us to listen. Really listen to His words, and those of His father. How many times I've gotten uptight with my son or daughter, because they "hear" me but don't "listen"!! Listening implies going beyond mere auditory reception.

Listening to me is hearing, yes, but hearing with understanding. Hearing with comprehension, if you will. I recently was given C.S. Lewis's Mere Christianity on tape. I've read the book countless times... but hearing... no, listening to it was far different. It was so cool to listen to Lewis speak and his inflection in different places changed or deepened my comprehension.

How wonderful that we worship a God who speaks to us! Who asks us to listen... I think sometimes because we so readily have access to the Word in whatever form we choose we sometimes forget the power of the Word. This, I think is the real tragedy.

After all, Paul tells us in Romans 10:16-18 that... So then faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God. But I say, Have they not heard? Yes, verily, their sound went into all the earth and their words unto the end of the world. We have ears... we have heard. Let us endeavor to make sure that all have heard, too.

We may not be able to compel listening... but we can afford everyone a chance to hear the word. Whether they choose to listen or not... that is their choice.

Be Blessed!

No comments: