Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Menu Planning Monday on Tuesday + ramblings

Sunday: Dh forgot I had chili in the crockpot so when he and ds left the coffee hour, they picked up a rotisserie chicken. Ah well... we had the chili for supper that night instead, and he took leftovers for lunch.

Monday: Pasta bake: It's my favorite way to use extra spaghetti sauce. Boil a lb of whatever pasta you have on hand, add spinach, lowfat or fat free cottage cheese, and mix together. Top with cheese if you wish, or skip it. We've now got half a pan of leftovers for later in the week. WOOT!

Tuesday: Beef crockpot stew

Wednesday: Steelhead trout, Kashi pilaf, broccoli

Thursday: Catfish gumbo over rice

Friday: Date night-- children can eat leftovers, dh and I will prolly pick up a sub.

Saturday: leftovers or if it's nice, I may try to talk dh into grilling some chicken drumsticks which we'll serve with mixed veggies and roasted potatoes.

------------------------------------------
Ramblings:

I've sort of alluded here to the fact that I'm embarking on a new educational project for myself. It's called Education for Ministry. It is a four year long course on the Bible, Old and New Testaments, the history of the church, and finishes with theology. I'm in year 1. The Old Testament.

It is absolutely eye-opening to me. There is much about the make-up of the Bible that laypeople are not taught. I wonder if this is why we have so much anguish in the church over literalism, and inerrancy.

The course is offered through Sewanee. I've just received my New Oxford Annotated Study Bible in the New Revised Standard Version 4th edition. Whew! Say that 5 times fast!! I dare ya. No, seriously, try it!

The other part of what I'm learning comes from my fellow students. I'm seeing how hurtful the "church's" stance on certain issues is. The lack of acceptance, the lack of showing real Christian love, is keeping people from the love of Christ... causing them to reject Him. We, after all, are His body here on earth. We act in His name.

If ministry can be viewed as anything that a Christian does to another person (a line from the EfM materials) ... well, what does my ministry look like? Am I bringing the love Christ has for all to them? Or am I standing in His way as He tries to reach them?

These are just a few of the things I've been pondering and wrestling with lately. I'm sure there will be more.

No comments: