Saturday, October 16, 2010

Christian Education-- the rubber meets the road!

In a small church, people of necessity wear many hats. For example, I teach the primary school children and sit on the Bishop's committee. A colleague sits on the Bishop's commitee and acts as our catechist. This leaves my daughter, age 16, in charge of Sunday School for one Sunday a month. Fortunately, since we are a small church there are only about 6 children... still, with the differences in ages... it's a challenge.

We've decided to begin working on an Epiphany play on those Sundays. We're performing a tale of 3 Camels... focusing on the Magi. Well, actually focusing on their camels, but the idea is centered on their travel to worship Jesus! I'm digressing a bit from my point, though, which is this...

So many people talk about how important it is to have a Sunday school, and Christian education program. So many people look for good programs when choosing churches. So many people write curriculums, have outlines, etc. However, so few say yes when asked. I marvel at this, because any time we want to do something in our Sunday school... we are blessed to have volunteers who will help, who will take classes, etc.

I've been in much larger churches where people almost hit their knees to plead for teachers/helpers/and aides. I am a friend with others in other areas who are also struggling with this... especially in big churches.

Truly, I say unto you. the fields are white for the harvest and the laborers are few very few. Luke 10:2

No comments: