Saturday, November 17, 2007

Thanksgiving Plans-- Generic style!

I need to make plans. I'm having the inlaws for Thanksgiving dinner. I'm planning on the usual. Turkey, mashed potatoes, scallopped corn, greenbean casserole, stuffing, gravy, crudite, and rolls and butter.

Pies... I'm thinking a couple of pumpkin, and tons of cool whip (the generic kind of course) so here's the question... do you use generics?

I love them. Most of the time I notice no difference in taste. There are a few differences and places where I stick with the brand names. I'm sometimes surprised that some people haven't tried to save money by giving up brand names. I am floored when I see things like this...

http://abcnews.go.com/search?searchtext=generic%20foods&type=

I mean, really... russet potatoes are russet potatoes. Turkey is turkey, and Butterball just means it's injected with stuff. It floors me that people pass up opportunities to save money like this. However, I guess, part of it is necessity.

Anyone got any real good ideas for how to make a pumpkin pie?

2 comments:

Sheree said...

Thanksgiving is over, but you can put this one up for next year:

Abby's Punkin Pie

1 can of pumpkin
2 boxes of instant pudding, cream cheese flavored (or vanilla)
2 cups of milk
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 (8oz.) container of coolwhip (thawed)
Mix the milk and pudding together until pudding is dissolved, stir in pumpkin, cinnamon, and coolwhip. Pour into a baked pie crust. Chill for atleast 3 hours and serve. You can put this in a graham cracker crust if you like.
Use all generic ingredients, of course!


We use all generic except for a very few things. We use real velveeta, and when the price is right, i will use hellman's mayo (but we can use generic when thats too expensive).

Sheree said...

OOPS!!! I meant to say 1 CUP of pumpkin NOT one can!!!! I am so sorry. I didn't realize it until after i posted it!!!