Thursday, October 9, 2008

Thankful Thursday and Recipe Review!

Today I am thankful:

1. That my hubby has a good job, and good benefits.

2. That my son and I had a good early a.m. run together talking over his LD debate case.

3. That Jesus loves me!

4. That I get to do all the things on my agenda-- because today is NOT that day! :)

5. For hot coffee...

Okay... last night, I tried a new recipe as challenged by Ann at Life on the Sound. The recipe was for Easy Moussaka, and it came from my More with Less cookbook.

Easy Moussaka:

1 large eggplant, unpared
1 lb ground lamb/beef/turkey
1 onion chopped
1 clove garlic minced (we like garlic so I used 2)
salt, pepper and a dash of nutmeg
2 c. tomato sauce
1/3 c. tomato paste
1/2 t. oregano
1 T chopped parsley
1/2 to 1 c. grated parmesan

Place slices of eggplant on a cookie sheet, brush with olive oil sprinkle with salt and pepper and broil 5 minutes or until golden. Turn slices brush with olive oil and season and brown second side. Set oven to 350 after browning.

Fry together the meat, garlic and onion and seasonings. When browned, add the tomato sauce, paste and remaining ingredients except the cheese.

Layer half the eggplant slices into a 9 x9 baking dish, then top with half the meat mixture, repeat. Sprinkle with grated cheese, bake 40 minutes. Makes 6 servings.

----------------------------------

Family verdict: All eggplants must die!! Seriously, no leftovers, none. Dh, dd, and ds all went back for seconds. What a great sneaky way to get more veggies into the family, and have them like it. This is a definite make again... very easy, quick and affordable. Not to mention delicious!

Now to decide what to make for next week's challenge!

1 comment:

Moni said...

Your moussaka sounds great. Try adding a little red wine to the meat mixture...yummo!!!