Friday, November 19, 2010

Today...

I am thankful for clean, potable running water.

I grew up in northern Minnesota. We had pipes that would freeze every winter in our bathroom, and once a week, my father would thaw the pipes in the tub so that we could bathe. Once a week! Now, you must understand... Dad was born in 1907 so weekly bathing was not an uncommon or odd occurence for him as it was for those of us growing up in the 1970's.

When we moved in... we didn't have running water. We had a hand pump. All of which makes me a throwback to another time in many ways. But it does make me appreciate some conveniences that many of us take for granted. Running water is one of them.

If you're looking for a worthwhile cause, and trying to find a way to put more Christ in your Christmas... you could do worse than the Advent Conspiracy. And, you'd be blessing more people in the world with the gift of clean, drinking water.

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

Amen! My family and I live in a cabin in Alaska that had no running water until I installed the system. Living this way opens my eyes to the value of the water wells of Biblical times. I will never again take for granted the blessing of running water!