Wednesday, November 3, 2010

No Place for Moderates

On the one hand, I'm really glad that there has been a check on some of the crazy liberal actions and figures as a result of yesterday's election. However, I am disappointed at the number of middle of the road candidates who lost. I am confident that extremism on both sides is not the answer.

Unfortunately, that appears to be what our political system does best. We get rid of the people who can cross aisles. We get rid of the people who are level-headed, able to see both sides, and therefore able to create intelligent compromise.

I know, I know... many are not in favor of compromise. Winner take all, right? We do need to remember, though, that power shifts in politics are inevitable. And cramming down dissent does backfire.

I am mourning the loss of Stephanie Herseth-Sandlin. She was a good representative for South Dakota. She voted against most of the left's agenda. It wasn't enough, though.

So now we get Kristi Noem. A woman who's had issues with honesty throughout the campaign, who doesn't feel the need to follow traffic laws if she's in a hurry, without a college degree, and who doesn't appear to grasp the need for compromise. Nice.

I'm sure SD's voice will be heard now. NOT.

No comments: